Sunday, April 29, 2012

Breakfast treat - Pancakes!

Last weekend I made some pancakes for my family. I had not made any in a while, and I knew it was time to make some. I grew up eating pancakes on the weekends as a treat. It was a whole production since we were eight, but when it comes to making pancakes for four people it isn't as bad as it sounds.

I also feel that buying the ready made kind is a waste of money as the recipe is so easy, and making it from scratch keeps me within budget. Most ingredients I have at home all the time.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl you sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. You poor in little by little the milk, the vanilla extract, the egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. You can do this with an electric mixer at medium for about 2 minutes.

I personally opt for a whisk most times as I want to surprise my kids without waking them up, and it just takes me a minute or two extra.


Then you heat a griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. I like using butter to grease the griddle to add to the flavor, and I don't have to give my family any extra butter to spread once ready.


Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle if you want regular sized pancakes, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. I like making "dollar pancakes" which are bite sized and avoid some of the mess of having the kids cut them up. Brown on both sides and serve hot.


This recipe makes 8 servings, but my bunch is a hungry one, soI have to make more than just pancakes. I add some protein with some eggs sunny side up and some turkey bacon. I like the turkey bacon because it doesn't shrivel up as much as regular turkey does as it has less fat. Win-win in my book.

Turkey bacon is almost done, and eggs need a few more seconds.

My kiddos don't like mixing sweet and savory, so they eat their eggs and turkey bacon in one plate and their pancakes in another. Maple syrup or strawberry syrup is used in my home, but I'm sure any syrup would do.


As you can probably tell, the turkey bacon is nowhere to be found on these pictures, and that is because I was too slow to take a picture and they had already devoured it. I have some happy campers here!!

What is your breakfast treat?

Rossana G-A





FTC Disclaimer: I am not compensated to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment